Friday, July 9, 2010

How it all started...

A South African, with a qualification in teaching French as a Foreign Language, living in France. That's me. A dream life ? Perhaps. Except for one teeny problem, there aren't that many people in France who need to learn how to speak French as a foreign language ! So, I decided that a radical career change was necessary. And then, all upon an autumn evening, an idea blossomed...

"A candy shop ?!" said my husband.

"Yes, a candy shop. I want to open a candy shop", I replied.

And that's how it all started. Okay, not so fairy-taleish because we had to check our savings, do a market study, find candy suppliers, find a shop to rent, make about 8000 photocopies (the French are not that into trees) for the Chamber of Commerce, and go through all the required bla bla before I could finally say that I was the proud owner of a candy shop in Marseille, France.

It's been six months and I can't say I regret anything (except certain snotty kids like the Lumbergs* - more on them later). I don't know if I'll do this for the rest of my life, but it's what I'm doing for now and am enjoying it.

Anyway, I decided to write this blog for several reasons :

a) i love writing
b) i like making fun of the French err... everyday is an adventure at the shop and i want to share it with others

Okay, so it's only 2 reasons, but I suppose they're good enough reasons. So, I hope that you enjoy my stories and I love comments so please feel free to leave any number of comments !

Thanks & have a "sweet" day ! (sorry, couldn't resist the corny pun !)

*names have been changed to avoid me being sued by the equally snotty father

No comments:

Post a Comment